The goal of information-literacy instruction in ENGL 210 is to enable students to engage with and explore information and information resources and to find and use information in order to participate in the conversations surrounding literature (ACRL IL Framework).
The ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education (ACRL 2000) help to structure and inform library instruction:
1. The information literate student determines the nature and extent of the information needed.
2. The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
3. The information literate student evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his or her knowledge base and value system.
4. The information literate student, individually or as a member of a group, uses information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose.
5. The information literate student understands many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally.