PDF Viewer Panel
1. Create a new folder on desktop
2. In EndNote, go to Edit>Preferences
3. Select PDF Handling and Enable automatic importing
1. In the EndNote toolbar at the top, go to File>Import>Folder
2. Select "Choose" to locate the folder on your computer. Select the "Import" button.
3. PDF files are imported into EndNote Library. Citation data is added if it could be located. To add citation data, click on an entry and use the Reference tab under the citation.
It is possible to have EndNote retrieve PDFs of your references, if they are available in USD's databases.
(Note: it is preferable to save PDFs to a folder and then upload using the process in the "Attaching Files" video at left on this page. Also see the videos for Importing PDFs from your desktop, and setting an auto import PDF folder at left.)
1. In the EndNote program, choose Edit > Preferences. Click "Find Full Text" on the left pane, and add the following information:
2. In EndNote, right-click on the title of the reference to which you wish to attach a PDF, and choose "find full text > Authenticate," and this window will pop up; add your USD login information and click: "Go to database":
3. This window will open; just click "done" in the lower right:
4. Once again, right-click on the title of the article, and choose "FindFfull Text" > "Find Full Text."
The program will search USD's databases for a PDF of that article (doesn't seem to work with JSTOR).
If the PDF is found, the "ticker" in the lower right pane will indicate that, and the PDF will "magically" appear in the lower pane:
Link to PDFs
When linking to PDFs or other file types, you can either choose to link out to that file or to insert a copy of the file within your EndNote Library Data/PDF folder. Linking out would oblige you to copy all related files when moving your EndNote library to another computer. Inserting a copy of the file within EndNote means that all linked PDFs travel with your EndNote library when the library and associated Data folder are moved from computer to computer.
Setting File Attachment preferences
Linking a File to the File Attachment Field
EndNote will display an icon indicating the type of file inserted. You can insert approximately 45 files into the same File Attachments field.
Alternatively, drag and drop the file onto the reference in either the Library window or the Reference window. Whether the file is saved with the database or is linked with an absolute path is determined by the file attachment preference setting.