In This Lesson
>> Scholarly Journals
Periodical literature can be broken down into several several types, including scholarly journals and popular magazines. As each name implies, the different types have differing purposes, audiences, and degrees of credibility for research.
Scholarly Journal Article
- Are published by colleges or universities, research institutes, or professional organizations
- Are peer-reviewed (articles are read and accepted by experts in the relevant fields)
- Contain articles written for specialists (assume the necessary subject knowledge, use jargon)
- Communicate the results of original research and experimentation to other members of the discipline
- Contain lengthy articles with abstracts and bibliographic citations
- Limit advertising to discipline-related products and services
- Are published quarterly or less frequently
- Have a serious "look"
>> Next page