In This Lesson
>> Popular Magazines
One page articles are common.
Written by staff writer.
Little or no background given on writer.
- Are produced by commercial publishers
- Are not peer-reviewed
- Contain articles written by journalists for non-specialists
- Communicate information of general interest, to inform, entertain, or persuade
- Contain short(er) articles written in non-technical language, with no abstracts or citations
- Contain extensive advertising
- Are usually published weekly or monthly
- Have a glossy "look"
Check with your instructor about the kind of periodical literature required for your research project. Generally, scholarly periodical literature has more credibility because it is written and published by experts. Popular periodical literature, on the other hand, is a good source of examples and can function as a quick source of current information on a topic.
>> Next page