USD Information - Creative Services
Preparing Large Poster Prints at USD
General Poster Rules:
1. Posters can be created in MS PowerPoint or Adobe Illustrator
2. Any one poster dimension (length or width) can be no more than 41"
3. Leave space between the edge of the poster and text/images
4. Be aware of image sizes.
Images can become more pixilated the larger you make them. It is best to keep all photos at a minimum of 200dpi for print. Do not use low quality web images as a poster background.
5. Use colors that are attractive and easy to read.
6. Be sure copy is readable from at least 3ft away.
text/body copy- minimum 20 pt type
main-headers- 36-60pt type
title- 100-200pt type, avoid script and specialty fonts that may be hard to read
7. Do not stretch University logos (hold "shift" key while resizing to maintain dimensions)
8. Use standard fonts.
Unique fonts may not be recognized by the printer and could shift off the page.
Print a Test Copy First
Print a mini-poster
Even though your PowerPoint slide is designed to print at a very large scale, it is possible to print the whole thing on a letter-sized piece of paper. It is easier to proofread, check layout issues, and share drafts with others when it is on paper instead of just in PowerPoint.
Go to File: Print and make sure that the Scale to Fit Paper option is checked. Now select your favorite printer and click OK.
USD Logos & Colors
Do not stretch University logos (hold "shift" key while resizing to maintain dimensions)
Ready to Print?
Lamination and Poster Tubes are available upon request.
Once you are ready to print:
Email – Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach the PowerPoint and a pdf of the file
Include in email:
- Full Name
- (6 digit) billing number
- Billing Contact
- Date the poster is needed*
*All posters require a minimum of 2-3 days for production.
Alison Buckman (Questions: 677-5330)
For more poster information: portal.usd.edu/administration/marketing-urelations/creative-services.cfm