|Title||Trojan Mining Company|
|Bulk Dates||(bulk dates, 1911-1920)|
|Quantity||1.5 linear ft.|
|Location||Archives and Special Collections, University Libraries, University of South Dakota.|
The Trojan Mining Company operated in Deadwood, South Dakota from 1911 to 1922. H.S. Vincent served as the on site manager. H.W. Seaman, president of the company, maintained residence in Chicago, Illinois. He originally came from Clinton Iowa and had interests in the Clinton Mining Company.
The pre-existing Portland Mining Company, Clinton Mining Company, and American Eagle Mining Company incorporated under the Trojan Mining Company in 1911. The company purchased the Two Johns Mine and also leased the Republican Mine. After the company purchased the Ofer Mining Company, it gained control of the majority of gold mining operations in the Bald Mountain mining district.
The Trojan Mining Company processed over 180 tons of ore per day by 1912. It suspended operations during WWI, but daily production increased to 500 tons a day in 1917. The Company became the second largest producer between 1918 and 1922. This same period marked increasing labor shortages that affected the production capacity of the mines. In addition, the company struggled to match the wages offered at the Homestake Mine in Lead, South Dakota. Labor and wage problems combined with high production costs diminished the production capacity of the mines. On 10 February 1923, the Trojan Mining Company decided to suspend operations rather than be limited to producing only high grades of ore, which decreased tonnage and did not affect the high costs associated with production. The Trojan Mines reopened under the Bald Mountain Mining Company in 1928 and continued operations until 1959.
|Finding Aid Permalink||Cite or bookmark this finding aid as: http://libguides.usd.edu/trojan