The collection is open for research. Series 15 contains restricted material and is closed. Series 7, 10, and 11 may be accessed with assistance from staff. Series 10 is in sub-zero storage and takes additional time to access.
USD Marketing and Media Relations, campus departments, and donations
The collection is arranged by material type. This arrangement style allows different photographic processes to be isolated from one another and ensures good preventive conservation measures. The original order and arrangement of Series 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 14 has been maintained. New materials are added to the collection as they are received. The collection is active and growing.
Keith BraveHeart, Kylie Brings Plenty, Chelsey Brooks, Ava Maria Mowery Carlson, Genevieve Dailey, Shaina Dean, Jonathan Dreft, Adam Dunn, Brianna Earl, Noah Edwards, Adrienne Evans, Erin Feldman, Emily Fischer, Alison Galbraith, Robyn Goodell, Jessica Grage, Mason Griffith, Jami Guthrie, Sarah A. Hanson-Pareek, Matt Heller, Austin Kaus, Leah Keating, Tammy Kuxhouse, Anne Lindquist, Andrea Maddox, Mark Maxon, Loni McComber, Molly McGrane, Crystal Mensch, Seth Mette, Katherine Miller, Jason Monroe, Chris Mortenson, Andrea Peterson, Abigail Sandberg, Rebecca Schademann, Ben Schultz, Eli Show, Joni Stockland, Tory Stolen, Ethan Tasa, Sophia Wermers, Deirdre Whitman, Amelia Wulf, Katie Zimmer and others.
The collection remains active with frequent additions.
Finding Aid Copyright
©2022 University of South Dakota.
Identification of item, Series, USD photograph collection, USD Archives, Archives and Special Collections, University Libraries, University of South Dakota.
The first Legislature of Dakota Territory met in 1862 and authorized the establishment of the University at Vermillion, making it the oldest postsecondary institution in the Dakotas. Not until 1882, with the added support of the citizens of Clay County, were the first classes held in the Clay County Court House and construction began on University Hall (Old Main). Construction was completed on Old Main in 1883, and the university moved into its new building. The first public board governing the university was appointed in 1883.