Skip to Main Content

Using Micromaterials in the University Libraries

This is a guide for locating, viewing, and scanning various micromaterials located in the University Libraries.

What's the Difference?

University Libraries has a large amount of information stored in the three different mircroform formats:

  • microfilm (on reels)
  • microfiche (on transparent acetate cards)
  • microprint/card (on paper)

To the right, you can see what these three formats look like.

All the microform cabinets are located on second floor.

Microfilm & Microfiche


The two main collections in microfiche are:

- ERIC is a set of microfiche published by the Education Resources Information Center, part of the U.S. Department of Education.  This collection is filed by ERIC document numbers beginning with the letters ED.

- Federal Documents are published as microfiche, in addition to being printed on paper. Microfiche from the Federal Government is organized according to the Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc) classification, which is the same system used for Federal Documents in print.  

The microfilm collection is primarily comprised of back issues of newspapers. 













Microprint/cards are different from microfiche in that they are printed on paper, rather than acetate. 

Footer for USD LibGuide v2.0