The School of Medicine’s papers are organized into six series: Committees, Faculty, Photographs, Printed Materials, Subject Files and Ephemera.
The Committee series is comprised of meeting minutes, correspondence, reports and other various articles and drafts of proposals. Some of the committees included in this series are: Executive, Curriculum and Evaluation (C&E), Faculty Development, Graduate Medical Education, Promotion and Tenure, Research Development and VA Deans.
The Faculty series contains Medical School Dean Correspondence, Clinical Chairs, Faculty Council and General Faculty Meeting minutes. The Deans correspondence is organized chronologically. Some of this correspondence was glued together and as a result the processor has made no attempt to separate these materials in order to reduce further damage and deterioration.
The Photographs series is organized in to several broad topics: Anatomy and Chemistry, Dedication of Medical Wing, Laboratory, Surgery and Medical Examinations, Lee Building, Open House, Medical Library, Medical School Banquet, Miscellaneous, People, Science Hall and South Dakota Hospitals. Most of the photographs are unidentified and were taken by University Relations. The most notable identified photographs are the first class of Emergency Medical Training Graduates and the Medical School Class of 1969.
The Printed Materials includes of USD Medical School Bulletins from 1955-1971 and 1985-1987, the 1977 Alumni Directory, Alumni bulletin newsletter and a Faculty/Staff roster from 1978. Also filed in this series are various medical school related news clippings, arranged chronologically, spanning the years 1973-1976. Also included are various reports, pamphlets and newsletters.
The Subject files contains a range of materials including documents about Dr. Carlyle Hare, the first graduate of the medical school, the 1954 Lee Building dedication and the Opening of the Wegner Center in Sioux Falls in 1996
The Ephemera series contains a plaque from South Dakota Chapter American College of Surgeons First Annual Meeting, Jan. 17, 1953.