What resources are available for MUSIC MAJORS (and anyone studying music)?
1. Reference resources (print & online).
2. Books about music ("ML" = "Music Literature" and "MT" = "Music Theory & Pedagogy").
3. Scores ("M"):
Mini-scores - for study purposes
Full scores - for study or conducting
Scores & parts - for chamber music
Piano reductions - of ballets, symphonies
Piano-vocal scores - reductions of operas, oratorios, cantatas
Vocal scores - for solo voice or voice with piano accompaniment
4. Audio recordings:
Vinyl recordings = 33 1/3 LPs and SLPs
Streaming audio from:
Naxos Music Library
5. Visual materials:
6. Online Commercial Databases, such as:
Grove Music Online
Naxos Music Library
WorldCat - WorldCat is really an online union [library] catalog. It provides information on the holdings of thousands of libraries around the world! Use WorldCat to find and order (through Inter-Library Loan) materials not available at the University Libraries!
Now I know what's here, but ... WHERE can I find these things?
1. Reference -
Print materials: University Libraries, Main (Ground) floor, west side of Academic Commons
Online databases / resources: University Libraries Web Page (www.usd.edu/library)
2. Books about music ("ML" and "MT") - University Libraries, 3rd floor, northeast quadrant, just after the scores.
3. Scores ("M")
Mini-scores - 3rd floor, northeast quadrant
Full scores - immediately following the mini scores on the 3rd floor
Scores & parts - same as above (by LC call number)
Piano reductions - "
Piano-vocal scores - "
Vocal scores - "
Oversize ("M's" and "N's") - 3rd floor, west end by elevator door
4. Audio recordings -
Compact discs - University Libraries, Main (Ground) floor, west side of Academic Commons
Streaming audio (from Naxos Music Library) - go to Library Webpage, select "Articles in Databases" or filter by subject "Music"
5. Visual materials - University Libraries, ask for them by call number at the Circulation Desk!
Videocassettes (VHS) - University Libraries, Main (Ground) floor, west side of Academic Commons
DVDs - University Libraries, Main (Ground) floor, west side of Academic Commons
6. Online Commercial Databases/Resources- University Libraries Web Page (www.usd.edu/library)